Sites that are under construction, particularly when in a public area or an area easily accessible by the public, are tremendously vulnerable and dangerous places, rife in potential dangers. These dangers not only concern the damage to and stealing of contents within the construction site, but also include the risk of harm to intruders and the general public.
Extensive and effective security measures must therefore be installed throughout a construction site wherever it may be, safeguarding property and reducing the risk of potential harm to the public.
Whilst there are a multitude of different components involved in safeguarding a construction site, the absolute essentials of security required for a construction site can be summarised as:
- Construction Site security guards
- Construction site CCTV systems
- Site hoarding
- Construction site access control systems
Security Guards for Construction Sites
With the large numbers of vehicles and people entering and exiting throughout the day in addition to its complete abandonment at night, every construction site is at high risk of intrusion, theft and vandalism.
Although frequently considered a luxury, security guards can help to hugely reduce and even eliminate the risk of thieves entering or vandalising the premises. Their prominent, often 24-hour visibility acts as not only a deterrent for potential intruders but also an excellent line of defence against those who are already within the premises unauthorised.
Utilising Security Professionals
Using security guards from companies such as Secure Site can help to ensure the safety of your construction site, providing you with secure safeguarding qualities including:
- Experienced, licensed professionals – All officers from Secure Site are filtered through the BS 7858 as well as to DBS and SIA checks to ensure all security guards are trustworthy with their records clean. All members of security provided, will also come with all safety regulatory equipment, ensuring both the safety of its workers and the construction site they are assigned to. In addition, all security guards supplied, are professionally managed with regular visits from our supervisors to ensure consistent and effective performance
- Site Assessment – As no two construction sites are the same, security companies such as Secure Site offer a detailed assessment of each individual site, recognising all relevant and potential risks and responsibilities unique to each site and managing all elements with the utmost precision and efficiency
- Guard Dogs – Another element of security which tends to significantly increase the safekeeping of your construction site are guard dogs. They are proven to be a greatly effective deterrent against thieves and intruders entering the premises. Secure Site offer NASDU certified handlers for all highly trained canine units, further strengthening the protection of each construction site the guard dogs are assigned to
Construction Site CCTV Systems
In addition to security guards, both human and canine, another effective method to secure your construction site is via the installing of a good quality, up to date CCTV camera system, specifically designed for construction sites.
Secure Site provides effective, quality CCTV equipment, including features such as:
- Site-Specific Design – As each construction site is unique, it requires unique planning and instalment of such CCTV equipment to ensure the maximum quality and efficiency of any rented equipment. Secure Site offers visits and analysis of site plans backed up by 30 years of CCTV installation experience to provide each construction site with the best CCTV surveillance possible to ensure maximum security
- Remote CCTV – If a source of power and broadband are provided, we can offer state of the art camera quality systems capturing 24-hour surveillance which not only adds to the growing list of deterrents for thieves and intruders, but provides you with the best possible chances of identifying intruders
Construction Site Hoarding
A further layer of security that can be provided to ensure maximum security for your construction site is via hoarding, a temporary fence built up to surround a construction site as a physical barrier to intruders. Secure site offers a great selection of hoarding options to meet the differing variety of requirements unique to each individual site.
- In-ground (standard)
- In-ground (wind-load specific)
- On-ground (secured with Kentledge blocks).
Controlling Construction Site Access
An excellent security feature to install for your construction site is site access control. Security measures of this kind install features which allow users to control the flow and identities of people coming into and out of the site.
Secure Site offers a variety of access control options that are excellent measures against intrusion, theft and vandalism to your construction site:
- Biometric turnstiles – Controlling the flow and identities of people in and out of construction sites, with access to the site only given to those verified on the access list and also only when correct identifiers have been provided (e.g. fingerprint ID and CSCS [call_to_action title=”” icon=”icon-lamp” link=”” button_title=”” class=”” target=”_blank” animate=””]Insert your content here[/call_to_action]accreditation)
- AccessBLOCK – As well as the general function turnstiles provide, Secure Site offers the AccessBLOCK system, which not only allows you to manage the flow of people in and out of your construction site efficiently and effectively, but also records attendance of various contractors whilst adhering to fire safety regulations
Although security of your construction site may seem a tedious task, it is a vital part of the construction process to ensure the safety of your site and furthermore the smooth running to your construction project.