Any commercial property standing empty for any period of time has an increased risk of break-ins that can result in extensive vandalism, or theft of property or fixtures and fittings, which can leave the owner or administrator of the property with hefty maintenance bills to have the damage put right before it can be re-let or sold.
Secure Site UK is a leading provider of vacant property security services and the first choice of many property owners, Asset Managers, LPA Receivers and Administrators to make sure that property assets are protected.
As a result of changes in squatter laws in 2012 to protect residential property, the risk is now increased for vacant commercial property, as squatters look for larger premises they can take over and claim ‘rights’ in. Being larger sizes, the potential for damage in closed pubs, clubs, shops and business premises is significant and repair costs for vandalism and destruction caused is something Secure Site UK can help prevent.
The most important step to take once your commercial property becomes vacant is to ensure it is left in a secure condition. Even though you may have taken the precaution of locking all the doors and windows, an empty property will still attract the attention of thieves and vandals. Solid steel boarding can prove to be an effective deterrent.
Having adequate insurance in place may give you some peace of mind because you know you will be covered for any eventuality. However, unoccupied building insurers have certain criteria and deadlines to adhere to, which Secure Site UK can ensure you comply with including carrying out regular vacant property inspections to monitor the property’s condition and prevent the risk of deterioration or identify attempted break-ins, vandalism, graffiti or fly-tipping, which are all signs a building is vacant and therefore an easier target.
As the saying goes – prevention is better than cure, so turning off the water supply and disconnecting the electricity and gas supplies can go a long way to reduce the risk of associated damage, however you don’t want to disconnect the electricity supply if you have an alarm system for example. With commercial buildings, you will probably have a sprinkler system installed, so you will need to leave the water connected in case of a fire.
Because there is so much responsibility associated with looking after a vacant commercial building, it would be in your best interests to have a trusted security service take care of your property on your behalf.
Secure Site UK can look after all your vacant property needs, such as:
- Securing the property against illegal entry.
- Securing all external doors.
- Changing all locks within 7 days.
- Replacing or boarding up all broken windows.
- Sealing letterboxes if unoccupied for more than 6 months.
- Removing all internal and external waste materials.
- Shutting off the gas supply.
- Shutting off and draining down the water supply (unless a sprinkler system is installed).
- Shutting off the electricity (unless this is required for viewings or alarms).
- Inspecting property internally & externally every 7 days.
- Logging all visits with date, time and identity of inspector.
- Reporting any breaches to the landlord, LPA Administrator or managing agent and recommending actions to rectify the problem immediately.
For more information about Secure Site UK Vacant Property Security Services please get in touch.