Every key-holder’s nightmare is getting a call that their property has had a break-in. Paranoia of vandalism, theft and illegal raves suddenly becomes reality.
For one company and their property, Barratt Industrial Estate, the nightmare of an illegal rave in their warehouse was strategically avoided.
How did the company successfully prevent this illegal event in 13 minutes?
By capturing illegal activity in real-time using CCTV, the rave organisers were caught on camera, the key-holders were alerted, and all illegal activity was stopped by the police.
This blog focuses on Barratt Industrial Estate and how efficiently using CCTV enabled them to avoid the cost and damage that would be left to them if the illegal rave had taken place.
Without taking these efficient precautions, your vacant property could be victim to this kind of illegal activity. Find out how VideoGuard Wireless CCTV helped Barratt Industrial Estate, and how important it is to efficiently protect your property.
Why Precautions Were Taken
In this instance, the managing agent of the property was already on high-alert due to a break-in that occurred only a few weeks beforehand.
Although no damage was done, the managing agent knew that any entry to the warehouse was a sign of vulnerability to the premises.
As a result, the necessary precautions were taken to prevent further illegal entry to the premises. The managing agent installed a steel security door to the warehouse, replacing what had been an ill-fitting one with low security locks. Internally, they installed a wireless intruder detection system so they could be instantly alerted should anyone manage to enter the premises.
With another unit on the estate also vacant, the agent also foresaw the risk of illegal entry to this unit and therefore installed the same wireless camera system.
The Illegal Action Caught On CCTV
Proving the managing agent’s suspicions to be correct, once the details of the evening’s illegal rave were publicised, a sound system was promptly wheeled into the unit.
Little did the party organisers know – this was all being filmed on a VideoGuard CCTV camera.
This captured 10 second video footage was immediately sent via the camera’s internal sim card to the remote monitoring station.
Once received, round-the-clock security officers were able to verify the trigger as human (and therefore illegal), before sounding the alarm. Many managing agents are disturbed with false alarms – VideoGuard doesn’t alert for anything unnecessary.
The officers alerted key-holders, who confirmed that more visitors to the rave were gathering around the premises, and the police were contacted.
Once the police were alerted, and arrived in numbers at the scene, the ravers were stopped, 100’s of guests were turned away and the organisers were detained.
How long did the action take?
Case Study Takeaways
Due to the precautions taken by the managing agent of this case study, an illegal rave was intervened.
Illegal raves can cause major financial loss, among other negative impacts, to property owners.
Below lists just a selection:
- Property Damage: Attendees may trespass, break fences, damage buildings, or vandalise the premises, resulting in repair costs for property owners.
- Noise Disturbance: The loud music, amplified sound systems, and large crowds can disrupt the peace of the area, impacting the quality of life for residents nearby.
- Environmental Impact: Influx of attendees can lead to excessive littering and improper waste disposal, negatively affecting the surrounding environment. Additionally, there may be instances of illegal substance abuse, which can pose risks to public health and safety.
- Legal Consequences: Authorities can hold property owners liable for enabling or facilitating the event, potentially resulting in fines, legal penalties, or property seizure.
- Reputation and Perception: “Hosting” illegal raves can tarnish the reputation of property owners and the surrounding neighbourhood. It may give the impression of being an unsafe or disorderly area, potentially affecting property values and deterring potential buyers or tenants.
How To Efficiently Protect Your Premises
Secure Site UK’s VideoGuard Wireless CCTV can protect your premises from illegal raves and other illegal activity taking place.
Avoid loss of reputation, financial consequences, danger to personal safety and property damage by thinking ahead and installing the appropriate safety cameras.
Speak to a member of the team at Secure Site UK to discuss this system, and other forms of security, to get your premises secured today.